вівторок, 26 вересня 2017 р.

Brussels diaries - The kindness of strangers

Two days ago was exactly one month since I started my experience in Brussels. 

I kinda celebrated this day by going back to Palermo for a couple of days to deal with some bureaucratic stuff and also to attend my friends' wedding in beautiful Castellammare and Segesta (the video about this trip will be up on Saturday on my channel).

But this post is not about this. It's about kindness that doesn't cost us anything but can really change someone's day.

DSC_0117  

... It's raining in Brussels - whole day, every day. I'm going out of the tram on my stop and open my umbrella - it's too small to really protect me from the rain, but it's better than nothing. I want to cross the road and get home as soon as possible - to put on a pair of warm socks, eat some hot soup and watch The Good Place on Netflix. To do this I need to let the tram pass first, so I'm patiently waiting as it will start moving. A guy next to me all of the sudden decides to run across the road exactly in this moment. I makes me angry, so I look at the driver who as to hit the breaks. I assume he will be angry but he just smiles at me knowingly (because we both kind of judge that guy for being irresponcible and impatient) and shows me that I can also pass. I smille back and accept his offer. This little thing brightens up this grey evening and I return home happy and full of energy. Instead of Netflix I manage to work for a few more hours very productively.

... To catch my flight from Trapani to Brussels I need to wake up at 6-30 on a very rainy morning, drag my suitcase through the puddles and take a bus for almost two hours. The flight gets delayed - of course, thank you Ryanair. I have a sore throat, blocked nose and cannot hear with my left ear. As I wait for my flight I dream only about cozying up in my scarf and parka and sleep for the whole duration of the flight. But know that it's not going to happen, as I have the middle seat. But... When we finally get on the plane my neighbour all of the sudden offers me his seat by the window. Just like that. I thank him for five hours and sleep for the rest of my flight (probably dreaming of little cute puppies, because I wake up feeling all happy and content).

... I'm carrying a Longchamp bag with my laptop and a ton of papers, a huge bag of groceries, a 2L bottle of water and a 2,5 kilo sack of potatoes. Why? Beats me. You know that moment when you enter a supermarket to buy something for tomorrows breakfast and suddenly realise that you have no food at home at all? I guess it was one of those moments. All of this weights a ton, so I stop in the middle of the sidewalk to redistribute everything more efficiently. Suddenly a girl stops next to me and asks me something in French (my level is A0.5 at best). And then repeats it in English: "Do you want some help? You look like you need it". I cannot help but smile and accept. She takes the potatoes and we talk all the way to my home. And I'm in a great mood tfor the rest of the evening.

All these stories are not about how I'm a complete mess (even thought yes, I am sometimes, as we all are). It's about how a small thing that doesn't cost us nothing can improve someone's day (and your's too).

So I just wanted to take a moment to thank all of those wonderful strangers that were so kind to me in moments when I really needed it. And to mindfully promice to myself to do more of nice things for others every day.

As you see in the first story, sometimes even a smile is enoght.

Have a great evening and see you around!

Немає коментарів:

Дописати коментар